Download the Georgia Probate Handbook.

Learn Important Probate Essentials, including key things that go wrong in an estate, how to prevent them, and what to do if they happen.


    What To Do When You Get A Notice From The Probate Court?

    logos-image logos-image logos-image


    What should you do when you receive a probate notice from the Probate Court?

    What happens if you do nothing?

    These are common questions we hear from heirs.

    We’ll answer each one in turn in this article.

    My name is Erik Broel & I am the founder & CEO of Georgia Probate Law Group.

    At our firm, we help families who have lost a loved one navigate the complex and confusing legal process so they can make sure the estate is handled properly and their loved one’s memory is honored.

    probate notice

    When a petition to open an estate is filed, the Probate Court is required to send a probate notice to each heir letting them know of the petition and giving them an opportunity to object to it.

    It is important to note that the objection deadlines are usually very short – as little as 10 to 13 days.

    If an objection is not filed by the deadline, then the Probate Court will proceed forward with opening the estate.

    probate notice

    That means that unless an objection is filed, it is likely that the petition will be granted.

    For example, if the Petition is asking the Court to accept a Last Will and Testament, then the Will will likely be admitted for Probate and the Executor appointed to manage the estate.

    If there is no will, then the Petition to appoint an administrator will likely be granted and the proposed administrator will be appointed.

    As a result, if you do not have any concerns about the situation, you may safely do nothing and allow the deadline to pass.

    Related Topic:  What can you do when you think the Personal Representative has misappropriated estate assets?

    If you do have concerns, you need to file a formal, written objection quickly.

    probate notice

    This is important because once an order is issued on the initial petition, it can be difficult to go back later and file an objection to change or overturn the order.

    It is important that you act quickly to file an objection if you have any concerns about the Nominated Executor, Proposed Administrator, Petition, or the Will, if there is one.

    Not acting quickly enough could cost you important rights.

    Next Steps:

    Everything discussed in this article is for general information and is not legal advice.

    If you are in a situation where you are attempting to settle an estate in Georgia, I recommend you reach out to our office at (770) 920-6030 to set up a consultation.

    If you’re not quite ready for a consultation, be sure to download our Georgia Probate Handbook so you know how the estate is supposed to be handled.

    probate notice


    Disclaimer: The information above is provided for general information only and should not be considered legal advice. Our probate attorneys provide legal advice to our clients after talking about the specific circumstances of the client’s situation. Our law firm cannot give you legal advice unless we understand your situation by talking with you. Please contact our law office to receive specific information about your situation.


    What can you do when you believe the Personal Representative has misappropriated estate assets?  Are you out of luck?  We’ll cover this topic and more in this post. My name is Erik Broel & I am the founder & CEO of Georgia Probate Law Group. At our firm we help families who have l...

    What can you do when there is a family property in a grandparent’s name, but nothing has been done? These situations can be very tricky, especially if the grandparent passed away a long time ago and other relatives have passed away afterwards.  This situation is sometimes referred to as heir prop...

    Real estate is often the single largest asset in an estate.  Sometimes real estate can be transferred outside of the formal probate process, while other times the only way to handle real estate is by opening the estate.  How do you know which one applies to your situation?  We will cover that and...

    © 2021 Georgia Probate Law Group by Broel Law, LLC. All rights reserved.